Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mi pasantía

My internship is at a house half-transformed into a vet clinic. It is the most laid-back operation I have ever worked at. There is one exam room/waiting room/supply room and one surgery room. If a soccer game is on, we drop everything and go upstairs to watch. The main vet is a man named Leo who is just goofy and super nice and there is a kid, Diego, who just graduated from vet school in Ecuador. There´s always random family members around too. I have learned an incredible amount in just 3 days.

Day 1, a little dog was in for surgery on a fist-sized tumor on its stomach. Leo performed the surgery and then after doing a couple sutures looked at me and goes "tu". So I got to do the rest of the sutures. It was amazing- they would never let me do that in the States!

Tuesday, we did surgery on 2 frogs that had swallowed stones. Again, I got to scrub in and assist (which consists of putting gloves on and holdig the pincers haha).
Also, a baby golden retriever that got his paw mauled by a car came in and I realized my weak spot in this job. Looking at that sad little Sadie/Juno face just killed me.

Wednesday, we went to Leo´s conservation center which is in the Amazon, 3 hours away. When we got there, Leo´s son started showing us the snakes when he realized one was missing. It has yet to be found... He also has cows, rabbits, rats, frogs, fish, and birds there.


Me, Donna, and Katie with a boa constrictor in Amazonia

Then we went driving up Volcán Cotopaxi to help a guy with sick deer. It was freeeezing up there, but we got to hang out with an alpaca named Santiago so that made it ok..

This weekend I think Donna, Ravit, and I are going to the hot springs. Maybe horseback riding in el parque carolina. We´ll see.

5 comments:

  1. you're life is insane. i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh crap typo...but i just got back to boston so the 12 hr drive has to be a legit excuse

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds amazing steph!
    how's the food?
    are computers/internet easy to find?
    how's the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds incredible!! i miss you and can't wait to hear more

    ReplyDelete
  5. great stuff, Stephanie. Mr. Norton is going to have so many doctors if he ever really needs one. marvelous u speak spanish, must make things easier. Keep on having fun learning. it's a sure path to a happy and fulfilled life. I am proud of you and so is JoAnn. Well, Mr. Norton, he just loves you and wags his tail when i mention your name. (Did u sneak him some food when I wasn't looking? He never forgets a food hiding place or a food giver). Uncle Jer

    ReplyDelete